new SATA chipsets support

Alexander Sack pisymbol at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 19:17:41 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 2:16 PM, Gary Jennejohn <gary.jennejohn at freenet.de>
wrote:

> I can't speak to this, but why not use a board which is already known
> to work? I'm using a Gigabyte M61P-S3 myself.
>
> > I think that drivers from ASUS (
> http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-en&model=M2N-SLI%20Deluxe)
> may not work with FreeBSD?
> >

> These are guaranteed not to work, unless you want to port the Linux
> drivers.

I see that 7.0-RELEASE has ATA Nvidia chipset support.  Does that not cover
the SATA nvidia chipsets of their unified MCP chipset?  I'm just curious if
this could be fixed by adding this particular chipset PCI information to
struct ata_nvidia_ident in sys/dev/ata/ata-chipset.c.  It looks MCP55 is
certainly supported but again I'm stabbing slightly in the dark since I
don't know SATA NV.

Sorry if this is totally off.  I'm new to the FreeBSD kernel but not SATA
driver development in general.  Its just a thought...

Thanks!

-aps

--
"What lies behind us and what lies in front of us is of little concern to
what lies within us." -Ralph Waldo Emerson