Why doesn't autoconf like our /bin/sh?

Bernd Walter ticso at cicely12.cicely.de
Tue Mar 11 14:41:55 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 07:08:20PM +1100, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 09, 2008 at 03:27:12PM -0400, Mike Meyer wrote:
> >I've stumbled on to an obscure problem with autoconf 2.61, and I'm not
> >sure quite what to do with it. I've already sent mail to the autoconf
> >folks, but I'd like to understand what's going on.
>
> Simplest explanation is that autotools are broken by design.  After my
> recent experiences, I've come to the conclusion that they are designed
> to impede the portability of software.
>
> >My question is, why doesn't the configure script just accept /bin/sh?
>
> Probably because it's not bash.

This is also the reason why I install bash if I had linux-bash in my
path, because it will use linux-bash instead of sh and starts finding
linux things which it shouldn't for native builds.
The native bash is in path befor the linix version so it at least uses
a native compiled shell.

--
B.Walter                http://www.bwct.de      http://www.fizon.de
bernd at bwct.de           info at bwct.de            support at fizon.de