Why doesn't autoconf like our /bin/sh?

Mikko Työläjärvi mbsd at pacbell.net
Mon Mar 10 00:58:22 UTC 2008

On Sun, 9 Mar 2008, Mike Meyer wrote:

[...]

> So there are at *least* three things that could be considered broken,
> in that changing them would fix the problem I encountered.
>
> 1) Our /bin/sh isn't classified as Definitely usable.
> 2) zsh is Not usable.
> 3) zsh is classified as Maybe usable.
>
> #1 could be fixed on our side, if we understood why it wasn't
> usable. It could also be fixed by the autoconf folks. #2 has to be
> fixed by the zsh folks. #3 has to be fixed by the autoconf folks.

Zsh has a large number of configuration settings that can make it
more or less sh(1)-compatible.  I've been bitten by SH_WORD_SPLIT,
which defaults to being incompatible, IIRC.

Since zsh is my interactive shell of preference, I spent a few minutes
trying to reproduce your problems, but failed.  Perhaps there is
something in your .z* config files that make things go awry?

   $.02,
   /Mikko