make index during make release generates wrong INDEX file

Marco Walraven m.walraven at terantula.com
Thu Mar 6 10:19:06 UTC 2008

Hi,

I ran into a wrongly named INDEX file today after I did a 'make release' of RELENG_7 on a RELENG_6 system which includes the Ports Collection. The index file is named INDEX-6 instead of INDEX-7.

A quick look in Mk/bsd.port.subdir.mk shows me that it will read the version from the param.h file found in either /usr/include/sys/ or /usr/src/sys/sys/ and will name the INDEX- file according to what it found. The first location holds the file from of my running system RELENG_6 (outcome of the make buildworld on which make release depends); the second location holds the RELENG_7 file, checked out during 'make release'.

Shouldn't it check the param.h file that is in my chrooted environment and use the version it finds in there while doing a make release instead of the param.h from the make buildworld outcome ? Ofcourse this works fine if you are running, let's say RELENG_6 and you want to make a release for that branch as well cause then they are equal(ly).

Quickfix would be to specify OSVERSION in the make.conf; however if there is already a chrooted env why should you have to specify OSVERSION since it can get the exact version from the param.h file in the chrooted env ?

Thanks,

 Marco

--
 Terantula - Industrial Strength Open Source
 phone:+31 64 3232 400 / www: http://www.terantula.com / pgpkey: E7EE7A46