Comments on pmake diffs for building on Linux

David O'Brien obrien at FreeBSD.org
Thu Mar 6 04:24:58 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 01:02:17PM -0700, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <20080304174045.GB90931 at dragon.NUXI.org>
>             "David O'Brien" <obrien at FreeBSD.org> writes:
> : On Tue, Mar 04, 2008 at 10:58:15AM +0100, Rink Springer wrote:
> : > On Tue, Mar 04, 2008 at 10:17:30AM +0200, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> : > > Solaris lacks TAILQ_xxx stuff too, so I would prefer something like
> : > > "bsdcompat.h" or similar.
> : >
> : > Seconded - "linux.h" is far too generic. I must say I like the idea
> : > of being able to build *BSD on Linux machines!
> :
> : Why?  What are you going to do with it?  Presumable install it
> : somewhere, where?
> :
> : Will the differences in the end result of what is built worth the risk,
> : vs. installing VMware player and building FreeBSD on FreeBSD on Linux?
>
> The end result will be the ability to build FreeBSD on a Linux host.
> VMware players aren't an option, and will not be contemplated as an
> acceptable solution.  The overhead is too high, especially when
> explaining to people what needs to be done to deploy.

I think you're wrong about the overhead is too high... - but the proof
will be in the pudding.  With installing VMware player and building
FreeBSD on FreeBSD - all the 10,000's of docs explaining to users how
to build will be valid.

With this cross build these docs will be wrong - folks will be much more
on their own.

Beyond the docs - I think you underestimate the amount of work getting
all the cross-tools built and installed will be.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

--
-- David  (obrien at FreeBSD.org)
A: Why is top-posting (putting a reply at the top of the message) frowned upon?