Custom VESA modes on FreeBSD 7?

Mike Meyer mwm-keyword-freebsdhackers2.e313df at mired.org
Sat Jun 28 23:42:45 UTC 2008

I'm trying to get FreeBSD 7-RELEASE running in a VirtualBox VM to use
all of my LCD panel in X. The running X is using the vesa driver,
which should be cool for this, as VirtualBox has provisions for
creating custom vesa modes. And in fact, the Xorg.0.log file shows
that it sees the new mode - but it doesn't use it.

The VirtualBox docs note that for Linux to use such a mode, you have
to provide a "vga" command line option with the new mode # in it to
the linux kernel. None of the FreeBSD boot parameters seem applicable
here.

Basically, the question is - what do I have to do to get the X.org
vesa driver to use a non-standard vesa mode on FreeBSD? Is there any
other information I can attach that might help with this?

     thanks,
     <mike