kmem_alloc_wait and memory pools questions

Roman Divacky rdivacky at freebsd.org
Fri Jun 27 09:02:20 UTC 2008

hi

I have two questions:

1) is kmem_alloc_wait() expensive operation? I believe it's not
very cheap looking at the code but I want confirmation

2) is there a support for memory pools in FreeBSD?

to give you a little background why I am asking this. In NetBSD Andrew Doran
claims that replacing allocation from a memory submap with an allocation
from a memory pool for exec*() args he can speedup exec*() by ~25%

I wonder if this applies to FreeBSD too so I am investigating it a little.

thnx!

roman