eeePC 900 && turning off wireless (ath0)

Rui Paulo rpaulo at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jun 26 23:17:53 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 09:55:45AM +0200, Matthias Apitz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Yesterday I did some tests with my eeePC 900 to see how long it would
> work with the 4400 mAh battery ... it seems that turning of the wireless
> card (ath0), which can be turned of from the BIOS, has big effect and
> let work the eeePC for more then 2hours 15minutes;
>
> in the Xandros Linux you can turn off the NIC as well with Fn+F2 which
> in FreeBSD does not work at boot stage, i.e. when you may defer the
> booting in the boot loader countdown;

Yes, this only works after booting. At least on the 701.

> is there any way to switch this off without going into the BIOS?

After booting you can unload ath module and press Fn+F2. It should turn
off wireless.

The problem is that you can't turn it back on. For that, we need PCIe
hotplug support. (That's what Fn+F2 does, it ejects the wireless card).

Regards,
--
Rui Paulo