command-line bittorrent utility

Kris Kennaway kris at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jun 26 23:14:56 UTC 2008

I am looking for a command-line utility that can fetch via bittorrent that

a) doesn't use curses.  It must be usable in a script and without a tty!

b) doesn't use X11.  Must be a command-line utility!

c) Must be able to inform the script when the transfer is complete.  A
callback mechanism of some kind is fine as long as it doesn't require
polling.

This is for distribution of files within a LAN and WAN: I have some
large files that I need to distribute to many machines, and pushing them
all out multiple times from the server is inefficient.

Things that come close:

* The python implementation, but it doesn't seem to work very reliably.
  I get errors and exceptions from both the client and server when
transferring a file with only two machines participating.

* http://www.murmeldjur.se/btpd/ is a daemon with command line client.
It doesn't provide for c), and it also doesn't work reliably.

* Not much else.

Surely I am not the first person to want to use bittorrent in a script?

Kris