3D for AMD64 (was Re: Lack of Flash support is no longer acceptable. Bounty established...)

George Hartzell hartzell at alerce.com
Thu Jun 26 16:40:25 UTC 2008

Mike Meyer writes:
 > [...]
 > I'm not sure those are the drivers Theierry wants. The proprietary
 > driver was called fglrx, not "radeon" or "radeonhd". Those two drivers
 > have been in the X open source trees for quite a while now. I first
 > started using the radeon driver on amd64 in late 2006. The versions I
 > have checked out for FreeBSD are documented as
 >
 > 	Radeonhd has no 2d or 3d acceleration.
 > 	Radeon has both, but only works for older cards.
 >
 > That is also on 7-stable, but I haven't updated the sources in a
 > while.

radeonhd does offer 2d acceleration, and 3-d is a work-in-progress,
with existing support for some of the newish cards.

You can get more info here:

  http://www.x.org/wiki/radeonhd

Actually, the entire thing is still a work-in-progress, but the
community is supportive.

If you try to build from the git sources, you'll need to have the
devel/xorg-macros port/package installed for the autogen.sh step to
work.

g.