3D for AMD64 (was Re: Lack of Flash support is no longer acceptable. Bounty established...)

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Wed Jun 25 19:17:09 UTC 2008

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 13:00:09 -0400 "Ben Kaduk" <minimarmot at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 6:06 PM, Thierry Herbelot <thierry at herbelot.com> wrote:
> >
> > is there any hope for having the newly open-sourced radeon/radeon-hd AMD
> > drivers (and the related 3D acceleration) to work under FreeBSD-AMD64 ?
> >

> Well, I'm using radeonhd right now on a
> [kaduk at periphrasis /usr/src/sys/contrib/dev/ath/public]$ uname -a
> FreeBSD periphrasis.mit.edu 7.0-STABLE FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE #4: Wed May
> 14 00:27:26 EDT 2008
> root at periphrasis.mit.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/PERIPHRASIS  amd64

I'm not sure those are the drivers Theierry wants. The proprietary
driver was called fglrx, not "radeon" or "radeonhd". Those two drivers
have been in the X open source trees for quite a while now. I first
started using the radeon driver on amd64 in late 2006. The versions I
have checked out for FreeBSD are documented as

	Radeonhd has no 2d or 3d acceleration.
	Radeon has both, but only works for older cards.

That is also on 7-stable, but I haven't updated the sources in a
while.

     <mike