Lack of Flash support is no longer acceptable. Bounty established...

Mark Carlson carlsonmark at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 19:41:08 UTC 2008

On 6/24/08, Naram Qashat <cyberbotx at cyberbotx.com> wrote:
> Julian Stacey wrote:
> > Do you have a "How To" RTFM Cook book / script URL please ?
> >

>  I'd like to chime in here and say there is nothing special to get this
> configuration to work.  Download the Windows version of Firefox and install
> it via Wine, then download the Windows version of Flash for Firefox and
> install that with Wine.  Once you do that, you have Flash in Firefox using
> Wine.  Like has been said, Wine is far from perfect, but this works great
> until a native Flash can be made for FreeBSD.
>
>  Naram Qashat

I'm not at my box right now, but it went something like this:

0. Install wine ( emulators/wine )
1. Download firefox for windows (
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all.html )
2. Run: wine "Firefox Setup 3.0.exe"
3. Complete the installer
4. To run firefox you need to do something like: wine "C:/Program
Files/Mozilla Firefox/firefox.exe" (I forget the exact path / command
name)
5. Navigate to the adobe flash download page ( use goole or something
) and download the flash installer for windows.
6. When the download is complete, run it ( should be able to do this
from the download manager in firefox )
7. Complete the flash installer ( this will require you to close
firefox, so do that )
8. Start firefox again (see the wine firefox.exe command from above)
9. Create a script to start firefox under wine since the command is so ugly.

I might write up some better instructions when I have the time, but I
really don't have a good place to put them.

-Mark C.