ntpd jail problem

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Sun Jun 8 12:10:31 UTC 2008

On 2008-Jun-08 11:32:54 +0100, xorquewasp at googlemail.com wrote:
>I'm running an openntpd instance on the host machine, which syncs the
>clock from the pool at pool.ntp.org. From the log output, ntpd claims to
>be synced and the time does seem to be correct.
>
>I'm then running another openntpd in a jail which doesn't set the time,
>just serves it to clients.

I've never used openntpd but for the base ntpd, you should be able to
just use 'server 127.127.1.0' to make it trust (and not alter) the
base system time.  Note that this openntpd will not have access to the
stratum information from the main ntpd but will have a fixed value and
may need to be adjusted using a 'fudge' command (or equivalent).

I'd be interested in knowing why you chose this approach rather than
just syncing clients to the [open]ntpd instance in the host machine.

--
Peter Jeremy