kgdb error: Ignoring packet error, continuing....

Riaan Kruger riaank at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 12:38:35 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 1:47 PM, karim sk <karimulla at krify.com> wrote:

>   Hi,
>
>   I am trying to setup kgdb on serial console in freebsd. I have done
>   the following steps.
>
>   1. Compile the kernel with the following options
>   options DDB
>   options KDB
>   makeoptions DEBUG-g
>
>   2.Installed the kernel on the target machine.
>   3. Transferred the kernel.debug to host machine.
>   4. Modified the file /boot/device.hints in the target machine to have
>   sio flags as
>   hint.sio.0.at="isa"
>   hint.sio.0.port="0X3F8"
>   hint.sio.0.flags="0x80"
>   hint.sio.0.irq="4"
>   5. Reboot the target machine. At the loader prompt type the following
>       set comconsole_speed=9600
>       boot -d
>   Then the target machine stops at ddb> prompt.
>   6.In the host machine type the following at kgdb prompt
>   kgdb> set remotebaud 9600
>   kgdb> file kernel.debug
>   kgdb> target remote /dev/cuad0
>
>   This is not able to establish the connection.
>   It is giving following errors.
>   Ignoring packet error, continuing...
>   Ignoring packet error,  continuing...
>   Couldn't establish connection to remote target.
>   Malformed response to offset query, timeout.
>
>   Can any body tell why packet error is coming when kgdb is trying to
>   establish the connection.
>
>   Thanks in advance.
>
>   Karim

I am not sure if it will help but according to on
http://www.lemis.com/grog/Papers/Debug-tutorial/tutorial.pdf the target :
"You choose a serial port by setting bit 0x80 of the device flags in
/boot/loader.conf :
hint.sio.0.flags="0x90"
In this example, bit 0x10 is also set to tell the kernel gdb stub to access
remote debugging
via this port."

Hope it helps
Riaan

PS. Sorry previous reply was only to Karin and not to the list as well.