[OT] Q: what would you choose for a VCS today

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Thu Jan 31 12:30:28 PST 2008

At 8:45 AM +0200 1/31/08, Adrian Penisoara wrote:
>Hi,
>
>   Side-topic, if you bear with me: if you were to choose again what
>to use as source revision control system (VCS) from today's offerings,
>what would you choose to maintain FreeBSD's sources or a side-off
>project tracking FreeBSD as base that would allow better teams
>cooperation and easy code merging between projects/branches ?

You'll probably get a different answer from each person...   :-)

As for me, I'd go with subversion.  I also believe 'git' might be a
very interesting choice, but I haven't used it enough to know how
well it works in practice.

And I think that's the basic difficulty in trying to answer your
question.  Very few people have enough experience with all of the
available VCS systems to do a comparison.  I have worked a lot with
RCS and CVS.  I've done a little with perforce, but it is so
different than CVS that I can't say that I gave it a fair chance.  I
just thought "Oh boy, this is too weird!", and went on to some other
project.  I don't have enough time to take a real project, and try
to make the same set of changes to multiple copies of the repository,
to see which VCS *really* does a better job for everything which is
needed.

One of the guys I know swears that darcs is the best thing ever, and
I can see how it would work well for some projects, but I can't
imagine it working well for a project such as FreeBSD.

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu