how to map a vm_object the same vm address in user and kernel space?

John Giacomoni john.giacomoni at colorado.edu
Fri Jan 25 17:22:24 PST 2008

I'm trying to share memory between the kernel and userspace so that I
can communicate between kernel threads and userspace threads with
concurrent lock-free data structures.  I can do this if I use
different virtual addresses in the kernel and addresses in userspace.
However, this requires that I swizzle any pointers stored in the
shared memory region.

Is there a way to fix the virtual address as a kernel address but
permit userspace threads to dereference it without triggering a
segmentation fault?

This is a sketch of the code that I'm trying to use to map the object
into userspace addresses.

struct proc     *p = td->td_proc;
vm_map_t         map = &p->p_vmspace->vm_map;

// setup *addr to bind to the premapped kernel address space
*addr = kernel_addr_for_obj

// circumvent the address range checks *ugly and probably wrong*
map->max_offset = kernel_map->max_offset;

vm_object_reference(obj);
err = vm_map_find(map,obj,0,(vm_offset_t*)addr, size, 0, prot, prot, 0);
err = vm_map_wire(map, (vm_offset_t) *addr, (vm_offset_t) *addr +
size, VM_MAP_WIRE_USER);

At this point the virtual addresses are the same and the virtual
address points to the same physical address.
pmap_extract(map->pmap, (vm_offset_t)*addr)

However, when the userspace thread attempt to dereference the first
page, it causes a segfault.

looking at the U/S bit in the PTE for the first page, the U bit is
cleared.
pte = pmap_pte(map->pmap, (vm_offset_t) *addr);

How do I set this cleanly for all the pages used to back the object?

Thanks

John Giacomoni

John.Giacomoni at colorado.edu
University of Colorado at Boulder