Dell XPS 1530 - Network card issue - Marvell 88E8040

Chris Stromblad cs at wa-sp.com
Wed Jan 23 03:44:25 PST 2008

(I originally addressed this to the freebsd-hardware, but got no response, so please forgive me for reposting this here!)

Hi,

It appears as if the Marvell 88E8040 is not yet supported by FreeBSD and
specifically the msk(4) driver. I would just like to know if there are any
plans on adding support for the above mentioned NIC.

Normally I wouldn't even bother asking, and just shrug and say, tough luck
they don't support it... next distribution. Thing is, I really, really
like FreeBSD. I'm kind of a GNU/Linux guy, but I've never managed to
settle for a distribution and have moved from one to another, never quite
finding something that works with me, and not against me.

Then I tried FreeBSD, actually I just read much of the available
documentation and I was "converted". _THIS_ is how documentation should be
written; clear, concise, to the point and most of all, USEFUL! Thank you!

So, my point is that I really want this to work out. I'm willing to give
as much time as necessary to get this driver working. Whether it's just a
little Device_ID change in the source, I don't know. However, if anyone is
up for helping me getting this to work, I'll provide whatever information
I can.

Many thanks, and keep up the fantastic work on the FreeBSD operating system.

Regards,
Christoffer Strömblad

PS: I've tried 8.0-CURRENT (snapshot from 27122007), 7.0-RC1 and FreeBSD 6.3, no luck.