cvs question

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jan 21 16:55:11 PST 2008

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008, Greg Larkin wrote:

> cvs -q -d /home/ncvs update -d
>
> The -d option given to the update subcommand builds directories the way cvs
> checkout does.  Without it, update will only operate on directories that are
> already in your sandbox.

In principle you only need to specify the first "-d" when you check out, after
that if you are working in the sandbox it remembers what you last used (for
some approximation of "used").  I like to use "-P" in the second set of flags
since it will remove empty directories which are a result of CVS tracking the
history only of files, not directories.

Example checkout:

   cd /usr ; cvs -d /home/ncvs co -r RELENG_7 -P src

Example update:

   cd /usr/src ; cvs update -dP

If you are running as a user other than the owner of /home/ncvs, "-R" is quite
useful as it skips locking.  Finally, I also like "-q" to make CVS a bit less
chatty.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge