Synaptics

Cristian KLEIN cristi at roedu.net
Mon Jan 21 13:36:21 PST 2008

Hi everybody,

Eygene Ryabinkin wrote:
> Giulio, good day.

>>> And what if you'll specify
>>> -----
>>>         Option          "Device"                "/dev/psm0"
>>>         Option          "Protocol"              "psm"
>>> -----
>>> in the xorg.conf?  I assume that you have your synaptics touchpad
>>> as the /dev/psm0.
>>>
>> Yes, I have the touchpad as /dev/psm0
>
> But what protocol is selected?  From your Xorg log I assume that
> it is either "event", "auto-dev" or not set at all.

I just ran into the same problem. In xorg.conf I explicitly told the synaptics
driver to use "psm" and "/dev/psm0", but the error message would suggest that it
uses "event".

Also, I tried to change the source code of the synaptics driver (synaptics.c)
and hard-coded "psm" as the only driver, no matter what xorg.conf says.
Synaptics still would not start, but this time complaining that no device was
specified. Please note that I had "Device" in my xorg.conf, but the error
suggests that the driver ignored it.

It almost seems that no matter what options I pass to synaptics, it does not
receive them. Is it possible that Xorg's option retrieval functions have changed
making the (relatively) old synaptics unusable?