cvs question

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jan 21 12:28:16 PST 2008

Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:
> I maintain a local repo of the via the cvs mode of cvsup.   When I do a:

What command did you use to check out the files, and what tree are you
talking about?

> cvs -q -d /home/ncvs update
>
> It will update any modified files but will not add any new files

When you say "new files" do you really mean new directories? If a new
directory is added to the tree, you need to use 'update -d' to get it in
your working copy. Otherwise cvs will add new files in existing
directories by default, so if that's not happening for you, something is
wrong.

> (it
> removes stale ones), but if I do a checkout it overwrites my local
> modifications...

If that is actually happening, you've done something really wrong, since
that is not what cvs does by default.

I would suggest that you go into your working copy (checked out tree)
and do 'cvs diff -u > ~/mytree.diff' and then wipe out what you had and
check it out again. Then you can apply your diff as needed.

You should also spend some time thoroughly reading the cvs man page.
It's a fairly complex system, and it's easy to accidentally add a knob
that will have hard to diagnose long-term effects.

Doug