FreeBSD packaging

Michael W. Lucas mwlucas at blackhelicopters.org
Mon Jan 21 08:11:36 PST 2008

On Mon, Jan 21, 2008 at 02:26:16PM +0530, navneet Upadhyay wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have our product on RHEL(almost all versions), we are planning to support
> it on *FreeBSD*.
> We were successfull in building the binaries. Now we have to make a
> setup(RPM sort of thing).
> By visiting sites i cam to know that pkg_create will do it for me. But i am
> unable to create a package as per my needs. I have gone through many
> documents on freeBSD.org, my needs are :
>
> 1. I have around 8 executables which should go to various directories as
> part of installation , and around 15 config file which go to config
> directory as part of installation.
>
> 2. I have around 4 script files which should be executed as part of
> installation after the files are transferred to the respective folders.
>

>   Can somebody provide me some information on how to achieve it.
>
> I am not looking at Ports.

Hi,

Both ports and packages rely on the same ideas and much of the same
infrastructure.

Having done exactly what you want to do for some internal software, I
found that making a private port was the simplest way to do it.  I
wrote a port, ran "make package," and let it bundle everything for me.
Then I distributed the package to my clients.

Understanding the package format annoyed me more than understanding
the ports format.  You might find otherwise.

==ml

--
Michael W. Lucas 	mwlucas at BlackHelicopters.org, mwlucas at FreeBSD.org
      Now Shipping: "Absolute FreeBSD" -- http://www.AbsoluteFreeBSD.com