FreeBSD on non-fpu device

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Mon Jan 21 06:36:56 PST 2008

Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy at optushome.com.au> writes:
> I very much doubt MP3 playing is going to work without an FPU.  The
> 2300SX specifications are badly mangled by the website but appear to
> suggest that it needs 5V at 3A - this is not especially low power and
> you should be able to find alternatives.  Check out www.pcengines.ch
> and www.ewayco.com [I haven't used either of these manufacturers but
> have found them in searches].

The Soekris net4801 and net5501 have lower power consumption (15W and
20W respectively when fully equipped, significantly less if you don't
stick a hard drive or WLAN adapter in it) and are fully supported.  The
only caveat is that while the chipset has built-in audio support, I'm
not sure if there's an audio header on the board.

Regarding the eBox, I've seen far more powerful VIA EPIA-based thin
clients in the exact same enclosure shown on the front page of
compactpc.com.tw.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no