FreeBSD packaging

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Mon Jan 21 05:06:49 PST 2008

navneet Upadhyay wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have our product on RHEL(almost all versions), we are planning to support
> it on *FreeBSD*.
> We were successfull in building the binaries. Now we have to make a
> setup(RPM sort of thing).
> By visiting sites i cam to know that pkg_create will do it for me. But i am
> unable to create a package as per my needs. I have gone through many
> documents on freeBSD.org, my needs are :
>
> 1. I have around 8 executables which should go to various directories as
> part of installation , and around 15 config file which go to config
> directory as part of installation.
>
> 2. I have around 4 script files which should be executed as part of
> installation after the files are transferred to the respective folders.

Have you read the man page for pkg_create? You can read it here:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=pkg_create. If you read it, can
you narrow down your questions to be more specific (e.g. why don't the
-f and -I arguments to pkg_create meet your requirements)?

I'd recommend you create a simple ports directory with the Makefile,
distinfo, pkg-descr files, etc. and do a "make package" from there. It's
easier than specifying the many command line arguments to pkg_create and
it helps portability. See
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/index.html
for instructions.