ATAPI dvdreader always fails on a particular DVD movie title

Josh Paetzel josh at tcbug.org
Sat Jan 19 14:52:09 PST 2008

On Saturday 19 January 2008 12:30:06 pm Joshua Isom wrote:
> On Jan 19, 2008, at 10:03 AM, Doug Barton wrote:
> > Yuri wrote:
> >> I tried to make a backup copy of one DVD that I own and 'dvdbackup'
> >> always fails at a particular point.
> >
> > Would the dvds in question happen to be Sony movies? If so a web
> > search might be useful to you.
> >
> > Doug
>
> Not only that, but do you actually see a DVD logo?  Disney movies use
> Disney DVD which is incompatible with the DVD specification.

Sony isn't the only maker of DVDs that has goo in them that will confuse
libdvdcss.

In a nut shell, in many places it's illegal to use 'nonauthorized' tools (like
libdvdcss) to decrypt DVDs for any purpose (including playback).  On top of
that, the underlying tool used by nearly everything that reads movie DVDs on
FreeBSD (libdvdcss) is unmaintained by anyone upstream, as time goes on more
and more dvds are released that it either can't decrypt or are able to choke
it.

--
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel (wearing libdvdcss port maintainer hat)

PGP: 8A48 EF36 5E9F 4EDA 5A8C 11B4 26F9 01F1 27AF AECB