Trying to support my product on BSD

Václav Haisman v.haisman at sh.cvut.cz
Fri Jan 18 05:06:57 PST 2008

navneet Upadhyay wrote:
> Hi ,
>        My product is successfully running on Linux( all most all versions)
> and HP- UX and Windows .
>
>   *It is 100 % C++ code*.
Cool.

>  I am planning to support it on FreeBSD, i have two queries :
>
> 1. *How to build my code into binaries* on FreeBSD , i have my unix make
> files. Just to give an idea i have around 200 cpp files and they complile to
> 5 binaries . I am using multithreading(posix on linux) and sockets heavily.
FreeBSD's make is BSD make. If you need GNU make you will have to
install the devel/gmake port and use the gmake executable.

> 2.* How to package the binaries*(RPM sort of thing). Idea is to provide a
> package to user who can install them binaries using this package by issuing
> single command.
I think that the easiest might be to create own local FreeBSD Ports
port. When you have a working port it is just a matter of saying make
package. See man ports and Porter's Handbook
<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/>.

--
VH