Nvidia Driver w/RELENG_7

Sam Leffler sam at errno.com
Mon Jan 14 19:11:17 PST 2008

John Baldwin wrote:
> On Sunday 13 January 2008 08:55:46 pm Yuri Pankov wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jan 13, 2008 at 05:22:46PM -0800, Ali Mashtizadeh wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Does anyone have the nvidia video driver working with releng 7? What I am
>>> seeing is that the kernel module compiles and loads fine, but it will not
>>> detect any video card. I've tried removing the agp device from my BSD kernel
>>> and using nvidia's.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ali Mashtizadeh
>>> علی مشتی زاده
>>>
>> If you are sure that installed version of nvidia-driver supports your
>> card, try putting nvidia_load="YES" in /boot/loader.conf. I guess your
>> problem is vgapci attaching to device, leaving nvidia module without
>> hardware to attach, like below:
>>
>> vgapci0 at pci0:5:0:0:     class=0x030000 card=0x40161682 chip=0x040210de
>> rev=0xa1 hdr=0x00
>>     vendor     = 'Nvidia Corp'
>>     device     = 'GeForce 8600 GT'
>>     class      = display
>>     subclass   = VGA
>>

> Actually, nvidia-driver is supposed to be a child of vgapci0 so it can
> cooperate with things like acpi_video(4).  The Nvidia driver author is
> aware of this and should be able to fix it.

FWIW I tried to update my desktop running HEAD and couldn't get the
nvidia-driver-96.43.01 driver I need for my Quadro NVS to work
correctly. The old build of the driver didn't work because of kernel
changes and after rebuild the system locked up after displaying the
Nvidia logo. I ended up having to downgrade the system to releng7.

Sam