Examples of sysctl/sysctlbyname/sysctlnametomib?

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jan 14 05:24:41 PST 2008

Does anyone know of some documentation which would help explain how to
walk the sysctl MIB tree for such things as dev.cpu?  The sysctl(3)
documentation is not very clear in regards to how to do this, and the
closest thing I can find is what's in src/usr.sbin/powerd/powerd.c.

I'm attempting to retrieve the integer values for dev.cpu.X.temperature.
For example, using sysctlbyname("dev.cpu.X.temperature") does work, but
the results returned in *oldp don't match that of what sysctl(8) shows.
This lead me to consider using sysctlnametomib("dev.cpu.X"), which also
returns success, but from there I'm confused...

Thanks...  :-)