nfs v2/v3 and diskless boot problem

Danny Braniss danny at cs.huji.ac.il
Wed Jan 2 01:18:39 PST 2008

there is an undocumented option:
	boot-nfsroot-options
that the diskeless boot can use. I tried
	boot-nfsroot-options = "nfsv3"
since the pxeboot does the initial mount via nfsv2, and this has at least
one problem: removing a file from the readonly / will hang the system.

so, the remount to v3 works in the case that the root is served by a Freebsd
nfs server, but fails if it's NetAPP. The reason is that the v2 filehandle
is 32 bytes, and when switching to V3 it becomes 28bytes - sizeof(fhandle_t).
This is not liked by the NetApp, which correctly gives error 1001: BADHANDLE
:-)

While I'm trying to come up with a solution, I am wondering if someone
can shed some light:
 - is sizeof(fhandle_t) == 28 bytes is mystical, or changing it to
   32 bytes will start WW3?

cheers

	danny