printing boot probe messages

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Tue Jan 1 10:30:44 PST 2008

Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 30, 2007 at 06:13:53PM -0500, Chuck Robey wrote:
>> during booting is to call out a verbose boot.  If I do that, then the boot
>> messages DO print during booting, and examination afterwards shows a big
>> file (~ 60K in size).  This happens if I use /boot.config==-v, or if I
>> enter option #5 to the beastie menu, or even if I call out a manual loader
>> run, and enter boot -v at the prompt.
>>
>> If I do none of those things, it will not print boot messages.
>
> This doesn't really make sense because the only difference is code like
>      if (bootverbose)
>         printf("Lots more detail\n");
> and there shouldn't be any side-effects.
>
>> After
>> booting, if I do a "dmesg > dm" then the resulting file is only about 10k
>> in size, and things like the enormous pci probing don't show up.
>
> That makes sense.
>
>>  At this
>> moment, I'm in a boot that wasn't printed, and I just got a 0 back from a
>> "sysctl debug.bootverbose"
>
> That is also correct.
>
>> Right now, I moved my /boot.config to /notboot.config.  My loader.conf is
>>
>> boot_mute="NO"
>
> I think this is your problem.  The kernel doesn't look at the value of
> the environment variable, just whether or not it is set.  Try removing
> or commenting out this line and check for other occurrences of "boot_mute"

Fantastic, that was it!  There is a strong chance that at some point, I
also had something wrong with my device.hints, because that boot_mute line
wasn't in there when my non-printing problems began, I put it in while
searching for something to make the probes print.  During this, I think I
finally got my worst misunderstanding, that of how to formulate a good
device.hints, corrected.

Anyhow, great to finally have this fixed, thanks, now I can get back to my
real problems (which I am not hitting the list with).