What is difference between /etc/rc called programs and ones called after login prompt shows up

RW fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com
Sat Aug 23 14:51:53 UTC 2008

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 15:33:54 +0200
Gary Jennejohn <gary.jennejohn at freenet.de> wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 06:34:23 -0400
> "Aryeh Friedman" <aryeh.friedman at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > What is difference between /etc/rc.d called programs and ones called
> > after login prompt shows up?
> >
> > The reason for asking is sysutils/fusefs-kmod gives an error if any
> > mounts are attempted in /etc/rc but if the exactly the same command
> > is issued by a user's .login/.xsession/etc. it works without problem
> > (assuming proper permissions of course).
> >
> > a) Can anyone think of a reason why this would happen (the
> > maintainer is non-responive)
> >

> Well, there are ways to force dependencies in the rc.d scripts, but I
> don't know the setup well enough to be helpful.  I have no idea which
> script handles modules installed by ports and when it is invoked.
>
> You could try moving fuse.ko to /boot/modules and modify loader.conf
> to load fuse.ko at boot time.

There's no need for that, it's already handled by the rc.d scripts.

Fuse-based filesystems should be mounted with the "late" option, so
they get mounted after the kernel module is loaded.

You might also need a patch so the mount can find the correct mount_*
executable.I think it's needed in 7.0, I'm not sure about 7-stable and
current.