Introduction

Yoshihiro Ota ota at j.email.ne.jp
Sun Apr 27 04:52:49 UTC 2008

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 19:46:02 -0400
David Forsythe <dforsythe at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> My name is David Forsythe and I'll be working on allowing parallel builds in the
> ports collection for Summer of Code this year.  I'm a second year student at the
> University of Maryland, College Park studying computer science.
>
> I'm extremely excited to work on this project over the summer and I hope my work
> is beneficial to the FreeBSD community.  I was already planning on devoting a
> bunch of my free time this summer to working on this type of thing, so an
> @freebsd.org alias, a t-shirt, and a bit of cash are just icing on the cake (no
> seriously, getting a FreeBSD mail alias excited me so much I'm a little bit
> embarrassed...)
>
> I hope that my project turns out well and I can continue to work with the FreeBSD development
> community far into the future.  Working with you guys is really a dream come
> true!
>

> Dave

Welcome.

I have once implemented a tool to support parallel builds in the port system, indeed.
There were a couple of designs and I chose to write a wrapper program to the existing ports infrastructure such that the wrapper such that every build and run-time dependencies are built in parallel prior to target packages.  You can find more about it at http://uyota.asablo.jp/blog/cat/portsplus/

I would like to participate to the project as another adviser as it is also my interest.
I believe that I can provide good comments and feedback to this project from my experiences.

Thanks.
Hiro