``Stopping RAM access''

Andrew Duane aduane at juniper.net
Wed Oct 31 10:12:48 PDT 2007

Well, if the system stops accessing RAM, you had better make sure that *all* the instructions you need are already loaded into the L1 and L2 caches. Otherwise you won't be able to turn RAM back on. That would involve carefully preloading everything through use of the system's appropriate PREFETCH calls, locking down the cache lines to make sure nothing else disturbs them, turning off interrupts, and probably more.

To actually turn off RAM, you'd have to power down or otherwise disable the memory controller interface on your board. The procedures for that would be highly platform dependent.

/Andrew