DPS Initial Ideas

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Tue May 15 15:39:06 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-15 at 11:23 -0400, Mike Meyer wrote:
> In <861whigyua.fsf at dwp.des.no>, Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des at des.no> typed:
> > Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy at optushome.com.au> writes:
> > > Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org> writes:
> > > [Linux package systems]
> > > This pretty much rules them out then.
> > It would, if it were true.  It isn't.
>
> Except it is.
>
> > apt-get --build source package_name
>
> That doesn't update from sources, that just builds a package. You're
> still stuck updating from packages.
>
> Further, like the rpm command, this doesn't deal with dependencies,
> other than to complain if they aren't met. This means that using it to
> deal with sources is about as pleasant as using rpm to install binary
> packages.  Further, there doesn't appear to be anything like make.conf
> to make it easy to tailor the build process to meet the users
> requirements.
>
> 	<mike

Of course Gentoo does do this [updating from source], being as it is a
rip-off of freebsd ports. I haven't used it since the (fairly) early
days when portage was written as a series of bash scripts. I'm fairly
sure they must have improved it since then - it made portupgrade look
positively snappy. Unsurprisingly, everything was/is controlled by
adding options (mainly USE_FLAGS - eg '+gtk2 -kde') to make.conf.

Tom