DPS Initial Ideas

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Sun May 13 21:44:28 UTC 2007

On Sun, May 13, 2007 at 10:39:46PM +0100, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> Matthew Seaman wrote:
>
> > I can certainly add a check for duplicate PKGNAME and emit warnings.  In
> > order to be sure of getting the canonical INDEX-N you'ld need a system
> > with no ports installed.  Well, other than p5-FreeBSD-Portindex and
> > dependencies -- none of which suffer from this problem.
>
> Hmmm, well, I have the first cut at this now.  As an added bonus, it
> enforces having the port mentioned in the $SUBDIR variable of the
> category Makefile before it will add it to the INDEX[*].
>
> Turns out there are at least 6 ports present in the tree but not hooked
> up in that way:
>
> happy-idiot-talk:/tmp:% portindex -o INDEX.m |& grep 'not referenced'
> FreeBSD::Portindex::Tree:printindex(): /usr/ports/emulators/linux-vmware-toolbox6 is not referenced from the /usr/ports/emulators category -- not added to INDEX
> FreeBSD::Portindex::Tree:printindex(): /usr/ports/emulators/vmware-guestd6 is not referenced from the /usr/ports/emulators category -- not added to INDEX
> FreeBSD::Portindex::Tree:printindex(): /usr/ports/net-mgmt/nipper is not referenced from the /usr/ports/net-mgmt category -- not added to INDEX
> FreeBSD::Portindex::Tree:printindex(): /usr/ports/net/asterisk12-app-ldap is not referenced from the /usr/ports/net category -- not added to INDEX
> FreeBSD::Portindex::Tree:printindex(): /usr/ports/x11-fonts/libXfont is not referenced from the /usr/ports/x11-fonts category -- not added to INDEX
> FreeBSD::Portindex::Tree:printindex(): /usr/ports/x11-fonts/xfs is not referenced from the /usr/ports/x11-fonts category -- not added to INDEX

I think they're all repo-copies in progress, and should indeed not
appear in the index yet.

> as well as a number of duplicate PKGNAMEs -- mostly to do with A4 vs
> letter paper size.

What I would like is for the incrementally built index to be identical
to the 'make index' version, or at least up to cosmetic differences
that I can post-process away automatically.  Then I can set up a
comparison that validates the incremental index over a period of time
to look for remaining corner cases where it gets out of sync.

Kris