MS Vista vs FreeBSD's bootloader

Ivan Voras ivoras at fer.hr
Thu Jun 28 03:38:33 UTC 2007

pfgshield-freebsd at yahoo.com wrote:
> > Hi;
> >
> > FWIW, if you just got your new computer with Windows Vista installed
and were
> > hoping to dual boot FreeBSD on it, let me tell you that FreeBSD's
bootloader
> > will screw things up.
> >
> > Microsoft basically declared the war on alternative OSs so it seems
vista
> > doesn't like:
> > - bootloaders different than the one used by Vista.
> > - Making a non Vista partition active.

I can confirm this - messing with the boot sector will make Vista
unbootable, but it can be repaired with the installer (of course, you
lose FreeBSD at that point). It seems Vista uses registry or some other
binary format to store boot info (as opposed to WinXP which uses a text
file...) and it protects the boot loader for "DRM" reasons.