6.1 - amd64 arch. Hangs twice a day, how can i debug problem

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Tue Jun 26 19:10:39 UTC 2007

On 2007-Jun-23 11:01:49 +0300, zkan KIRIK <ozkan at mersin.edu.tr> wrote:
> I have a FreeBSD 6.1 - STABLE 200609 gateway have 3 up interfaces.
> First one connected to 16Mbps Internet Connection,
> Next onet connected to DMZ Zone (192.168.0.0/24 network)
> The Last interface connected to Local network.
>
> this system hangs twice a day. Keyboard doesnt work, everything locks, no
> network reponse!
> For a quick solution i wrote a crontab that reboots system at 20.00 PM &
> 06.00 AM.
>
> How can I find the problem which hangs system? Is there any method for this.

This sort of thing is very difficult to debug.  My suggestions would be:
- Check for flaky hardware - maybe run memtest86 overnight.
- Run one of the following:
  while sleep 5; do date; vmstat -m; done
  while sleep 5; do date; netstat -m; done
  top
  systat -v 2
  on a VTY or a serial console and see when it's dying and what was
  happening shortly before.
- Check if anything unusual (cron jobs or unusual external activity)
  happens at the time it dies.
- You may be able to debug a frozen system via firewire

> Or any known bug reports at this release ?

I don't recall this particuar problem being reported.  That said, you
appear to be running a 9 month old -stable - have you considered
updating to either 6.2 or a more recent -stable?

--
Peter Jeremy