CPUTYPE in general - was Re: Which CPUTYPE for a dualcore Xeon on AMD64

Stefan Sperling stsp at stsp.name
Mon Jun 25 18:21:29 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 12:45:37PM -0500, Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
>  Also, does setting CPUTYPE make a lot of difference to performance?

I don't notice any difference in performance on my Athlon xp 2400
box if I set CPUTYPE=athlon-xp vs. leaving it alone.

YMMV though, ask the gentoo people :)

> Right now I have no CPUTYPE set at all.

Also leaving CPUTYPE unset means I can plug the system disc into any
other old x86 box without hitting illegal instructions.
In case my motherboard fries itself again some time like the old one
did a few weeks ago I'll be glad I can do this.

--
stefan
http://stsp.name                                         PGP Key: 0xF59D25F0