i386 with PAE or AMD64 on PowerEdge with 4G RAM

Jan Mikkelsen janm at transactionware.com
Tue Jun 19 00:24:12 UTC 2007

Martin Turgeon wrote:
> I am facing a difficult decision. Should I use i386 with PAE
> enabled in
> the kernel (I read a lot of warnings using it) or should I go with
> AMD64? Which branch should I follow?
>
> These servers will be front-end/back-end MySQL(with replication) and
> Apache servers with BIND, Postfix, Dovecot, PF.

Looks like an easy decision to me.

You have source for all of those things, and they are known to work on
amd64.  I suggest going amd64.  There are many advantages in going amd64,
and the primary disadvantage of going amd64 is the inability to run some
(but not all) 32-bit binaries at the moment.  I see no 32-bit binaries in
your list.

Regards,

Jan Mikkelsen.