Making sense of ktrace(1) output

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Mon Jun 18 19:16:11 UTC 2007

On 2007-Jun-18 15:37:11 +0200, Roman Divacky <rdivacky at freebsd.org> wrote:
>well.. instead of using ktrace I'd suggest building profiled pkg_add
>and see that way where the time is spent. ktrace is great if you dont
>have the source code... but you do :)

If you decide to go this route, you might like to apply

By default gmon.out is overwritten by each process so you will only
get the output from the last process of a given name.  My patch
optionally saves the profiling output each process in a separate file.
gprof(1) can already accumulate the output from multiple files so this
patch gives you the ability to profile multiple executions of a single
executable.  You will still need to glue together the profiling
results from each executable.

--
Peter Jeremy