Using shell commands versus C equivalents

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Sun Jun 17 04:02:50 UTC 2007

Tim Kientzle wrote:
> As Joerg said, though, you're not likely to gain much from
> this.  pkg_install is almost entirely disk bound.
    Going back to this particular comment, has anybody really looked
into the speed of mtree(3)? That was the next stop that I planned on
looking at after I make my changes, in terms of fchown(2) and friends.
    Also, were the bottlenecks seen in pkg_delete and pkg_add, or does
it appear to be distributed across the board?
Thanks,
-Garrett