Fwd: AMD deciding _now_ what to do about Linux

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jun 15 18:56:15 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jun 15, 2007 at 02:03:39PM -0400, Ali Mashtizadeh wrote:
>  Hey everyone,
>
>  This email went out on Xorg I thought it might be useful for all of us stuck
>  with ATI cards. We should all show our interest in AMD helping out the BSD
>  community as well! Just like Nvidia has been doing!

"Linux strategy" -- gotta love the use of the word "strategy", like
they're playing chess or Risk or Daisenryaku.  Yes, because supporting
an operating system involves "strategy".

Not to sound rude, but I wouldn't hold your breath over the statement.
Yes, *absolutely* mail them and show support for the BSDs, and tell them
you'll be happy to beta test whatever they put out (as long as they have
a good feedback method for reporting those bugs; not some defunct HTML
form web page that sends submissions to /dev/null).

I believe AMD/ATI cares about providing a good driver base (for Linux
and probably the BSDs), but no matter how many customers mail them, the
reality of the situation is a disappointing one: managers and executives
of sorts are who have say over all of this, who decide all of this, and
who ultimately make the statements on all of this.  As a Texan co-worker
of mine says, "too many chiefs, not enough indians".  nVidia has the
same "problem", for what it's worth.