Using shell commands versus C equivalents

Stephen Montgomery-Smith stephen at math.missouri.edu
Thu Jun 14 00:52:48 UTC 2007

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007, youshi10 at u.washington.edu wrote:

> PS I'm looking at pkg_install and pkg_version mostly, but I'll be looking
> into the other package utilities closely in the next couple weeks, evaluating
> what approaches I should take in solving some bottlenecks with installing
> packages and ports. My goals are up on
> <http://wiki.freebsd.org/GarrettCooper>, and will be modified soon.

Since you are interested in speeding up the pkg_* stuff, I thought I would
bring these to your attention (speed ups to the pkg_create and port
registration processes, not quite what you are doing, but related).

Let me also wish you good luck in your speed improvements.  I was rather
encouraged by these two, but all my future searches proved somewhat
negative.  In particular I looked rather hard at trying to speed up "make"
(required for pkg_version when it calls "make -V PKGNAME" multiple times).
I can tell you that in that instance, replacing linear lists by berkeley
DB made no difference at all - it was very disappointing.  In short, you
really want to do a lot of profiling and see where the speed bottlenecks
really are before writing lots of code.

Stephen