Can anybody terminate an IP-IP tunnel for me?

mjacob at freebsd.org mjacob at freebsd.org
Fri Jun 8 20:50:05 UTC 2007

> On 08.06.2007, at 20:31, mjacob at freebsd.org wrote:
>> The only problem here is that this isn't a solution for providing routing
>> for somebody else's Class C block.
>
> Why?
>
> inetnum:      192.109.197.0 - 192.109.197.255
> netname:      LEMIS-LAN
> descr:        LEMIS Lehey Microcomputer Systems
> descr:        D-W-6324 Feldatal
> descr:        Germany
> country:      DE
> admin-c:      GL3-RIPE
> tech-c:       GL3-RIPE
> rev-srv:      allegro.lemis.de
> rev-srv:      ns.cls.net
> rev-srv:      ns.maz.net
> mnt-by:       AS2871-MNT
> status:       ASSIGNED PI
> source:       RIPE # Filtered
>
> Its current provider was able to add it to their AS, too so it shouldn't be
> that much of a problem in Australia. I remember my ISP (QSC Germany) being a
> bit too... unexperienced at first so they sent me on to one of their
> resellers (who knew how to configure BGP) and they warned me that they
> wouldn't accept anything less than a /22 but things might be a bit different
> on the wrong side of the planet.
>
> I'd just get the defunct rev-srv records out of the database entry and send
> an update for the ownership records.

In general ISPs are now very reluctant do less than a /22 or larget if
it's not carved out of one of their blocks. It was a fair amount of
hunting around in Menlo Park for me to find somebody to route FERAL.COM,
and the big home serving ISPs like Sprint and Yahoo!/SBC were completely
clueless about being asked if they would do so- even for a fee.

-matt