FreeBSD-6.2 & PLIP - does it still work ?

ghozzy ghozzy at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 19:23:59 UTC 2007

On 6/8/07, Julian Stacey <jhs at berklix.org> wrote:
> Anyone seen PLIP working on FreeBSD-6.2 release ?
> I've tested my PLIP cable between 2 x 4.11 boxes.  I'm trying to
> install a laptop with 6.2 boot flops (with failed pcmcia/ether
> recognition) I cant get that laptop & a 6.2 tower to talk to each
> other.  Neither will those 2 x 6.2 talk to 4.11.  I havent quite
> done all exhaustive tests, (but am exhausted & seems worth asking :-)
>
> Julian
> --
> Julian Stacey. Munich Computer Consultant, BSD Unix C Linux. http://berklix.com
>   HTML mail=spam. Ihr Rauch=mein allergischer Kopfschmerz. Dump cigs 4 snuff.

It seems to me PLIP has been broken somwhere after branching RELENG_5.
Between two RELENG_4 it worked fine (used from about 4.3 to latest 4.11).
If any end was using RELENG_5 or RELENG_6 it didn't work any more.
I thought first, maybe there were some incompatible changes in protocol
or something, i tried to use the same FreeBSD versions on two ends
(both RELENG_5 or both RELENG_6), but that was not the case.

My tests were not exhaustive either, but i actually tried to fire it up again
numerous times, enough for my own assurance.

If anybody could shed some light, i would be curious.
I could also make tests if needed.

--
ghozzy