kern.ngroups question

Reuben A. Popp rapopp at eastcentral.edu
Tue Jun 5 17:08:46 UTC 2007

Hello all,

Can someone explain to me the rationale behind having ngroups_max set to 16 by
default?

I came across this issue originally when working on our Samba implementation
(samba-3 out of ports, running on 6-STABLE).  We have some users that belong
to a number of groups, some of whom need to belong to more groups than the
defined hard limit.  On doing a little research, I did come across the PR
detailed in http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/108552, and
continued reading the linked thread from March 2003, however this really
doesn't explain why the limit is set to 16.

Can one adjust the value in syslimits.h on a system and then rebuild
world/ports with the expectation this will work, or is the issue more
involved then that?  Is (or has) there any discussion on raising that number
to a larger value?

Thanks in advance (doubly so if this is a lame question)
Reuben

--
Reuben A. Popp
Systems Administrator