FreeBSD & Hot pluggable disks (SATA?)

Thomas Hurst tom.hurst at clara.net
Thu Jul 26 18:17:30 UTC 2007

* Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav (des at des.no) wrote:

> It is a function of the disk controller and driver.  AFAIK, the ata
> driver supports hot-plug as long as the SATA controller does.  I
> believe most Promise and Intel ICH SATA controllers do, not sure about
> Sil or nVidia MCP.

Both SiI and nForce's should support hot-swap, though if ata(4) actually
handles them correctly is another matter.

I have an nForce 4 Pro board (a Tyan K8WE, CK804 chipset) which in
FreeBSD gracefully handles hot removal, but needs a reboot to correctly
recognise hot-plugged devices.  I thought I'd filed a PR about it, but I
can't seem to find it...

I also have an 8 port Marvell SATA controller (88SX6081) which needs an
atacontrol reinit to pick up new devices, but otherwise seems to work
fine.

--
Thomas 'Freaky' Hurst
    http://hur.st/