A few questions...

Victor Loureiro Lima victorloureirolima at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 20:01:27 UTC 2007

2007/7/24, John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j at resnet.uoregon.edu>:
> Daniel Molina Wegener wrote this message on Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 20:52 -0400:
> > a) Is there any function or variable that tells me which is the
> >    root user UID in the system, or root always have 0 and it's
> >    an "elegant" option to compare the variables or structure
> >    members against zero.
>
> #include <sys/conf.h>
>
> uid == UID_ROOT
>
> > b) Can normal users look for system processes or kernel threads?
>
> Yes, ps does this...

ps(1) either elevates its priviledges during execution, or has some
other way of medling into the afairs of other processes that will
eventually need some higher priviledge status (either that, or I am
really out-dated on modern operational systems)

There lots of ways of finding information on other process, using
libkvm was the most recent option that I saw ;) might be worth taking
a look at it...

victor loureiro lima