Slight problem with make actual-package-depends with ports

Wed Jul 18 09:17:58 UTC 2007

Quoting Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen at math.missouri.edu> (Tue, 17 Jul 2007 19:46:11 -0500):

> I appreciate that most people won't have this problem, but it has bitten me.
>
> After you have made and installed a port, but don't clean it, and then
> made a bunch of other ports, if you go back to the original port and
> then do "make package", then +CONTENTS can be a bit messed up for the
> package.  This is because the creation of other ports might disturb

Can you please give an example what "messed up" means in this context,
e.g. post a diff between a good an a bad contents file? And what
actions you did to get this difference?

> _LIB_RUN_DEPENDS and might put in some extra entries in +CONTENTS.

You mean that if you create a leaf package and then rebuild a package
which is in the middle of the dependency tree with options which change
the dependency graph of the leaf package you get problems?

If yes: this has to be expected. You need to rebuild the packages in
the right order.

> This happens to me because I make all my ports on one machine and then
> copy them as packages to other machines.  Then on the other machines,
> the structure of /var/db/pkg gets a bit messed up and pkg_delete -r
> malfunctions.

I have a lot of jails where I use the packages build in other jails. I
haven't seen a problem there. The package install doesn't change the
+CONTENTS files, so /var/db/pkg should be messed up on the build
machine too...

> It seems to me that the cure is to slightly change "make
> actual-package-depends" so that if the port is already installed, it
> just uses +CONTENTS.

This is wrong. What if you have a port installed and you want to
rebuild the same version with other OPTIONS which changes the +CONTENTS
file? If I read your patch right, it will use the wrong contents...

Bye,
Alexander.

--
I wonder if I should put myself in ESCROW!!