permission denied to properly chmod'd files

Rogelio Bastardo scubacuda at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 01:33:04 UTC 2007

Today while trying to create a Cacti graph (something I've been able
to do with no problems on this box before), I got a "permission
denied" error on the .rrd file that I was trying to access.

I shelled into a FreeBSD box, only to find that the
"/usr/local/share/cacti/rrd" folder was properly chmod'd and chown'd
with the Cacti user.

I'm relatively new to FreeBSD (compared to other distros) and
unfortunately cannot get any good information out of anyone about what
changed on this server. (It seemed to be working a few weeks ago).

Might there be some sort of BSD version of SELinux going on here?  No
one has any info on what "changed" on the box to make it not work.
I've never had this problem on Cacti on the other distros I've worked
with (mostly Debian and RHEL/CentOS) and am wondering if it is a
FreeBSD oddity that I'm not understanding.

If FreeBSD is off the hook, then I'll go bug the Cacti crowd.

Thanks in advance