Tar output mode for installworld

Tim Kientzle tim at kientzle.com
Sun Jul 15 02:46:02 UTC 2007

On 2007-07-14 13:20, Tim Kientzle <tim at kientzle.com> wrote:

>><http://www.freebsd.org/projects/ideas/#p-taroutmode>
>>
>>This is easy to implement using a ... text format such as:
>>  bin/sh file /usr/obj/usr/src/bin/sh
>>  bin/sh uname root
>>  rescue/mkdir hardlink rescue/rescue
>>  bin/sh mode 0666
>>  bin/rcp mode 04666

Giorgos Keramidas responds:
> A packaging list for one of the distributions I've built at work
> includes stuff like:
>     # Misc command-line tools in @prefix@/bin/...
>     d none @prefix@/bin 0755 root bin
>     f none @prefix@/bin/progname-2.0 0755 root bin
>     s none @prefix@/bin/progname=progname-2.0

My concern is that "all of the bits for one file"
may not always be available at a single place in
the build.  Some programs use the "afterinstall"
hook to set flags on the installed binary,
for example.

My version allows different information about a file
to be output at different points in the build process.
A simple 'sort' then collects information about each
file together, making it easy to then build the
final archive.

Tim Kientzle